Van buren

Автор темы #1
Дата рег
10 Янв 2014
Симпатии
Hi everyone!

My team has decided to move onto FOnline engine to create Van Buren: http://www.moddb.com/mods/f3-van-buren

I am the main developer and project lead and I'm currently setting up the basic installation. I have some questions:

- Should I use FOnline SDK or FOnline 2238 as a base for the game? 2238 is a multiplayer but I am creating a singleplayer game so I'm not sure if that's smart.
- I want to use 3D models in the game from here: http://fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/3d_armors_development_tracker
How can I do that?
- I need to implement mutliple vehicles. Is that only in 2238 or is it in SDK also?
- Can I use rotators tools such as WorldMap Editor only in 2238 or do they work in SDK as well?
- Can I make changes to SPECIAL without touching source code or must I contact SDK developers to do that?
- I need to convert my FO2 maps to FOnline format. How can I do that? I looked on the net for tutorials but didn't find any.

Thank you.

Дата рег
16 Фев 2011
Симпатии
Omg. :confused: It's a huge work you're starting.

- Should I use FOnline SDK or FOnline 2238 as a base for the game? 2238 is a multiplayer but I am creating a singleplayer game so I'm not sure if that's smart.
There is no principal difference, 2238 SDK is basically older FOnline SDK with their content. Since you are stripping all the game of its content anyway, it doest not matter which one you use. 2238 might be a bit easier to work with since all the comments in the code will be in English, and if you use the main SDK, it will be easier to implement all the SDK updates in future.
Should be a tutorial somewhere here: http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/board,31.0.html
To simply enable 3D models from Van Buren in the SDK, uncomment lines 5-7 in Server\scripts\_defines.fos:
Код:
// 3d players mod, uncomment for use
// #define PLAYERS_3D			 // Enable 3d players
// #define PLAYERS_3D_NO_HEAD	 // No head slot
// #define PLAYERS_3D_VAULT_SUITE // Vault suit by default, not naked
- I need to implement mutliple vehicles. Is that only in 2238 or is it in SDK also?
Any.
- Can I use rotators tools such as WorldMap Editor only in 2238 or do they work in SDK as well?
Was answered by Jovanka. "Might require some additional work to set up".
- Can I make changes to SPECIAL without touching source code or must I contact SDK developers to do that?
Most of the SPECIAL system is handled in scripts, so yes, you can.
- I need to convert my FO2 maps to FOnline format. How can I do that? I looked on the net for tutorials but didn't find any.
It's a long way. Open and save each of your maps with following mappers:
1. Mapper 1 by Dims
2. Mapper 1.4.4 (packed together with Dims mapper)
3. Mapper 1.17.2
4. Mapper 1.22.5
5. Mapper 1.24.11
6. Current SDK mapper.

Since you have a mod with lots of changes, it's best to launch Mapper 1 and Mapper 1.4.4 from your modded Fallout 2 directory - this will get all the new prototypes saved right. If you create new prototypes for all your new objects in SDK format with same numbers as you have in your mod, they should appear on your map with no problems. You might loose some of the tiles, I'm not sure how to avoid that.

Good luck.

P.S. You might consider contacting authors of "Fallhope" mod, which was also a project of restoring Van Buren on F2 engine. It is now abandoned, but they might have something useful for you.

Последнее редактирование:
Дата рег
8 Сен 2013
Симпатии
Hi everyone!
- I want to use 3D models in the game from here: http://fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/3d_armors_development_tracker
How can I do that?
These models are incompatible with VanBuuren critters. They are supposed to be used with specially modelled critters, that are as close as possible to the original 2D sprites. Implementing these models into the game (separated into a few parts) is what me other guys teamed together are doing now. If you want them in your project, then you need to contact me in Skype. Once these are done, it can be adopted to any Fonline-based project.

Автор темы #4
Дата рег
10 Янв 2014
Симпатии
Dagnir, thank you for your help! This is all new to me so I have some begginer questions. But since I'm a Java/C++ programmer I won't have problems working with this engine, I've spent all night digging through scripts and writing down what needs to be done.

Can you tell me how much of SPECIAL can be changed? We want to implement (most) changes planned for Van Buren.
I've noticed a lot of Perks are either hardcoded or not implemented yet. I haven't found out how Traits are handled yet. Are there plans to finish that or expose source code?

We've checked out Fallhope and one monster animation and 2 maps they did will be used in our game.

I'll keep you updated on our progress!

Автор темы #5
Дата рег
10 Янв 2014
Симпатии
These models are incompatible with VanBuuren critters. They are supposed to be used with specially modelled critters, that are as close as possible to the original 2D sprites. Implementing these models into the game (separated into a few parts) is what me other guys teamed together are doing now. If you want them in your project, then you need to contact me in Skype. Once these are done, it can be adopted to any Fonline-based project.
I love your models. I tried implementing models from FOnline3D SVN into Revision 412 but the textures were wrapped incorrectly.
Please PM me your Skype name.

Дата рег
16 Фев 2011
Симпатии
Can you tell me how much of SPECIAL can be changed? We want to implement (most) changes planned for Van Buren. I've noticed a lot of Perks are either hardcoded or not implemented yet. I haven't found out how Traits are handled yet. Are there plans to finish that or expose source code?
Well, A LOT. Do search in scripts by stat name (e.g. "ST_STRENGHTH"), and you will roughly see what can be changed. It will be mainly main.fos, combat.fos, perks.fos. Some people are even making Arcanum on the engine. If you are unsure whether something can be changed, create a separate topic, and somebody will probably help you to clarify it.

Source code is unlikely to be released, since there is a commercial game planned on the engine, but you can leave requests for a feature to be implemented in this section, and Cvet or Rotators (2238 devs, they have source code too) might implements it in future SDK updates.
I haven't found out how Traits are handled yet.
Most (or all) are in scripts, but since the player creation interface is hardcoded, you can only add traits by renaming one of the old ones into your new trait. AFAIK.

Дата рег
26 Дек 2012
Симпатии
You had written about mappers, can you tell me exactly how to open custom mods from Fallout 2 mods, for example EPA mod? When I open map by using Dims mapper, I get a bug and mapper doesn't load map.

Вложения

• 5,9 KB Просмотры: 599
Автор темы #8
Дата рег
10 Янв 2014
Симпатии
Source code is unlikely to be released, since there is a commercial game planned on the engine.
That game shouldn't get in the way of making the engine open-source. Perhaps one day, but let's hope we won't have to wait for too long. I'm not going to have much energy or time as an old man!

Most (or all) are in scripts, but since the player creation interface is hardcoded, you can only add traits by renaming one of the old ones into your new trait. AFAIK.
Hmm, maybe I can capture events in the interface with a script?

You had written about mappers, can you tell me exactly how to open custom mods from Fallout 2 mods, for example EPA mod? When I open map by using Dims mapper, I get a bug and mapper doesn't load map.
EPA uses custom content and because your Dims mapper can't see that custom content it crashes. It can be done but you have to configure Dims mapper correctly.

Автор темы #10
Дата рег
10 Янв 2014
Симпатии
Any mappers out there that would like to join the team? I want to start working on new art ASAP and an additional mapper would speed things up!​

Автор темы #13
Дата рег
10 Янв 2014
Симпатии

UPDATE #5

Current team lineup: @Ilove3D (mapper), The Brazilian Slaughter (gameplay designer), Vaarna_Aarne (writer), grotsnik (writer), Whisky (writer), Kamoho (writer), Kane Vollstrecker (inventory art), hexer (everything else)

Hello mutants!

As you can see our team has grown. We finally found another FOnline mapper who is currently finishing Twin Mothers area. TBS joined us to help with SPECIAL and overall gameplay changes. He'll also contribute as a designer for one area.

We found a professional VO actor for our intro, end game slides, and perhaps a talking head or two.

And now for something unexpected! During our last Skype session, the team came up with the following idea - the player can play the game as either a ghoul or a super mutant! I personally can't wait to try out something different for a change.

I've been very busy making new art lately. Because there is so much of it, I'm sleeping no more than 5 hours a day. But that is the price I have to pay if I want to deliver! Currently, my game installation folder is already over 3 Gb but still there's much to be done.

P.S. We are looking for people that know how to make isometric game scenery or 3D movies.

See you around!​

Автор темы #19
Дата рег
10 Янв 2014
Симпатии
LOL, Tiberium

No, nothing like that. The Grand Canyon is one of the worst places on Earth and the green-black area is a toxic sea.

Автор темы #20
Дата рег
10 Янв 2014
Симпатии
Quick update (before a real one ;) ): Working on Ouroboros, the location which will be used for our first gameplay video. We have Alpha version which is 6 GBs at the moment. The soundtrack is over 7 hours long. We also included 3D models so we can have armors such as NCR / Desert Ranger Armor in their full glory. See you in the next update!

Дата рег
16 Фев 2011
Симпатии
6. You've said that your team currently has a size of 40 people. How do you handle the organisation, and how are you keeping it all together?
We are using emails, Google Drive, and a specialized website for that - Develteam. That combination's working pretty good and everybody is being kept updated on daily developments.
Wow, 40 people. It's probably as many as FOnline ever had combined. We never had as many as 40 developers working simultaneously.

Дата рег
21 Апр 2013
Симпатии
hexer,
This project looks damn good, and it seems that you are inspired to do a quality project. That actually sounds really promising :p, is that youtube channel yours?
Could I subscribe to that one and still be up-to-date on all the news? Sadly enough I despise social media services, so no facebook or twitter for me.

Автор темы #30
Дата рег
10 Янв 2014
Симпатии
Wow, 40 people. It's probably as many as FOnline ever had combined. We never had as many as 40 developers working simultaneously.
While the number looks great in reality we are not evenly spaced out. We have 13 writers and 7 musicians but only 2 programmers and 2 mappers. So there are some bottlenecks.

hexer,
This project looks damn good, and it seems that you are inspired to do a quality project. That actually sounds really promising :p, is that youtube channel yours?
Could I subscribe to that one and still be up-to-date on all the news? Sadly enough I despise social media services, so no facebook or twitter for me.
No, that's not our YT channel. This one is: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0fjMYe0qGBJ5fVZhRacdvQ
We plan on releasing trailers, gameplay videos and interviews there so it's a good source of info. But you can keep track of the project on these links as well:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/f3-van-buren
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?forums/van-buren-a-fallout-adventure.86/
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1487931-van-buren-a-fallout-adventure-spoilers/
http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?50282-Fallout-3-Van-Buren-(Spoilers!)
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7444
http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,29525.0.html